Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN - Individual Tax Id) - TAX ID

How to Apply for a Tax Id?   Apply for Tax Id now!

Your application must include all of the following:

1. Your completed Form W-7.

Note. If you submit a Form W-7, all ensuingTax Id notices and correspondence that you receive will be in English. If you prefer to receive them in Spanish, please submit Form W-7(SP).

2. Your original, completed tax return(s) for which theTax Id is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. If you are applying for more than one Tax Id for the same tax return (such as for a spouse or dependent(s)), attach all Forms W-7 to the same tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, the IRS will assign anTax Id to the return and process the return.

Note. There are exceptions to the requirement to include a U.S. tax return. If you claim one of these exceptions, you must submit the documentation required in lieu of a tax return. See the Exceptions Tables.

3. The original documents, or certified or notarized copies of documents, that substantiate the information provided on the Form W-7. The supporting documentation must be consistent with the applicants information provided on Form W-7. For example, the name, date of birth, and country(ies) of citizenship must be the same as on Form W-7, lines 1a, 4, and 6a.

Note. To avoid any loss of your documents, it is suggested you do not submit the original documentation.

You can submit copies of original documents if you do any of the following:

Have the copies certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record.
Have the copies notarized by a U.S. notary public legally authorized within his or her local jurisdiction to certify that the document is a true copy of the original. To do this, the notary must see the valid, unaltered original document and verify that the copy conforms to the original. Consular offices at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.
Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However, foreign notaries are only acceptable as outlined by the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the Convention. A certification will be issued in the form of an "apostille," which will be attached to the copy of the document. If the document originates in a country that is not party to the Convention, applicants should have the document certified by the foreign authority that issued it.

Note. The apostille must stay attached to the copy of the document when it is sent to the IRS.

Original documents you submit will be returned to you at the mailing address shown on your Form W-7. You do not need to provide a return envelope. If your original documents are not returned within 60 days, you can call the IRS. Copies of documents will not be returned. If you will need your documentation for any purpose within 90 days of submitting your Tax Id application, you may wish to apply in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (see Where To Apply. Your documents will be reviewed by an IRS employee in this office and returned to you immediately.
If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit any other documents. Otherwise, you must submit at least two of the documents listed below. The documents must be current, verify your identity (that is, contain your name), and support your claim of foreign status. If you submit copies of documents that display information on both sides, copies of both the front and back must be attached to the Form W-7. At least one document must contain your photograph, but a photograph is not required if documents are submitted for a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). Do not attach expired documents.

Note. Documentation submitted for a dependent must include a civil birth certificate (unless a passport is submitted).

Supporting Documentation Foreign status Identity
Passport (the only stand-alone document) × ×
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification × ×
Visa issued by U.S. Department of State   ×
U.S. drivers license   ×
U.S. military identification card   ×
Foreign drivers license   ×
Foreign military identification card × ×
National identification card (must be current, and contain name, photograph, address, date of birth, and expiration date) × ×
U.S. state identification card   ×
Foreign voters registration card × ×
Civil birth certificate ×* ×
Medical Records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if a student)) ×* ×
School Records (valid only for dependents under age 14 (under age 18 if a student)) ×* ×

* Can be used to establish foreign status only if they are foreign documents.

 Keep a copy of your application for your records.

All Rights Reserved
Copyright © 2006 - 2019

Site Map